Who is your neighbor?
“He answered: “Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind and love your neighbor as yourself.””
Main Idea: Showing mercy to others honors the Lord.
The Setting for Jesus teaching this parable. 10:25-29
- An expert in the law hand a technical question for Jesus, not a sincere one.
- The man wished to prove his righteousness and limit his responsibility.
Jesus replied to the lawyer’s inquiry with a story that clarified the intent of the command to “love your neighbor”. 10:30-35
- The robbers exploited the man.
- The priest and the Levite avoided the wounded man.
- The Samaritan showed mercy and generosity to a wounded stranger.
Jesus graciously led the lawyer to answer the question he should have been asking. 10:36-37
- Love brings a response that supersedes social rules.
- Those who are valuable to God should be valuable to us.
- God has equipped each of us to help in some unique way.
- How do you respond when you see a sincere need?
- How are you uniquely equipped to serve others?
- Is there someone you know whom you should offer assistance?
- Is there someone you know who needs to hear about God’s love and forgiveness?