The Compassionate Judge
Jonah 3 & 4
“The Ninevites believed God. A fast was proclaimed, and all of them, from the greatest to the least, put on sackcloth.”
Main Point: The Lord has compassion and concern for those who are rebellious and under his judgement.
- Jonah was fully obedient to the Lord’s instruction despite his displeasure. 3:1-4
- God can use us even when our attitude is errant.
- The Ninevites’ repentance solicited God’s compassion. 3:5-10
- God delights in giving second chances to those willing to repent.
- Jonah expressed rage over God’s compassionate response. 4:1-4
- Those who have received God’s grace should be eager to share it.
- The Lord rebuked Jonah for his lack of love. 4:5-11
- Are we compassionate for our Ninevites?
Questions for reflection:
- Have I been resisting God’s leadership in some area of my life?
- Am I more concerned with my own comfort over others spiritual needs?
- Is there someone from whom I am withholding grace?
- Who is my Ninevite?