Serve the Lord: Be Strong and Courageous
Why study the Old Testament? God’s chosen people provide for us examples to avoid and examples to follow in living the Christian life. I Corinthians 10:1-13. (See the chart on the back of this outline.)
Why Study Joshua? Joshua is one of the clearest illustrations in the Bible that consistent trust in, and obedience to the Word of God, results in overcoming, victorious, power, and successful living. The book of Joshua clarifies three characteristics of faith.
- Accepting God’s standard of holiness
- Abandonment to God’s will
- Achievement in God’s might. (Notes by Dr. Tom Constable)
Context: During the time of rebellion in the desert the Lord prepared Joshua to be strong and courageous in leading the nation into the land he had promised Abraham. God promised Joshua that if he was committed to knowing and obeying His word He would do for him all that He had done for Moses.
Life Lessons from Joshua 1:
- When you know and obey the word of the Lord you are ___________________________________. 1:1-4, 6-8
- When you know and obey the word of the Lord you are confident that He will ________________________. 1:5a
- When you know and obey the word of the Lord you are confident that He is _________________________. 1:5, 9
- When you know and obey the word of the Lord you ____________________________ to join with you. 1:10-18
Main Idea: You will experience ____________________________ as a strong and courageous follower of Christ when you know and obey the word of the Lord in the power of the Holy Spirit.
Application: What are you doing to know the word of God? How committed are you to applying God’s word to all of life? Are you facing something in your life that requires you to be bold and courageous in the Lord? Are you experiencing godly success?