Love Never Fails: We Humbly Confront
I Corinthians 5:1-13
Context: Paul was committed to making the church at Corinth spiritually healthy by challenging them to humbly confront and discipline anyone in the fellowship who continued in unconfessed sin.
Main Idea: To be a spiritually healthy church we must humbly confront and discipline those believers in the church who continue in open unconfessed sin. I Corinthians 5:1-13
A healthy loving church body…
- grieves over those believers who practice unconfessed sin. 5:1-2a
- confronts the believer in the church who practices unconfessed sin. 5:3-5,12b
- recognizes the danger to the church of allowing those believers who practice unconfessed sin to go unchecked. 5:6-8
- chooses not to fellowship with those in the family of God who practice unconfessed sin. 5:9-11
- removes from the fellowship those believers who practice unconfessed sin. 5:2b,13b
- Reminder: We must trust God to hold the unbeliever accountable. 12-13a
Application: Are you living a life of fellowship with God or is there sin you need to confess? Is God calling you to lovingly confront a believer who is living a life of unconfessed sin? Are you being honest with God and with others about your relationship with God?
For next week memorize I Corinthians 13:8