Living by Faith: Confessing Jesus as Lord
The righteous will live by faith. Romans 1:17b
Context: Paul was passionate in his desire that his countrymen would believe the gospel and confess Jesus as Lord, but they continued to stumble over Christ. He is making the case that God still has a plan for Israel and they have not been permanently rejected by Him because of their hard hearts.
- Israel stumbled over Christ by trying to work for their own righteousness. 10:1-4
- Israel stumbled over Christ by rejecting the truth that the gospel was for all. 10:5-15
- Israel stumbled over Christ by hardening their hearts to the work of God. 10:16-21
- You can confess Jesus as Lord if you have personally believed the gospel of grace. 10:4, 9-10, 16-17
- You confess Jesus as Lord by proclaiming the gospel to others.10:14-15
- You confess Jesus as Lord when you choose to humbly depend upon Him as your deliverer. 10:16-21
- When you confess Jesus as Lord you are promised the blessing of deliverance and vindication by God. 10:10b-13
Application: By God’s grace are you confessing Jesus as Lord in your words and actions?
I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile. Romans 1:16